In 2019, AFL NSW/ACT in conjunction with the Carbine Club of New South Wales announced the New South Wales’ Greatest Team of All Time. This is the first time a team such as this has ever been officially announced and is a reflection of the contribution that New South Wales has made to Australian Football.
The team was selected from across New South Wales and includes multiple Brownlow Medalists, All-Australian team members and AFL Premiership winners, highlighting the rich contributions of New South Welshmen to Australian Football throughout the years.
The selection committee included former Sydney Swans Chairman Richard Colless, journalist Mike Sheehan, Brownlow Medalist Gerard Healy, AFL Commissioner Gabrielle Trainor, AFL NSW/ACT CEO Sam Graham, and noted New South Wales AFL historians Miles Wilks, Rod Gillett and Ian Granland.
- The rules governing selection for NSW in State of Origin apply.
- If a player went to school interstate but their parents remained in NSW, they remain eligible (e.g. Shane Crawford and Neale Daniher).
- A player had to have played a minimum of 100 games in a senior league (VFL/AFL, SANFL, WAFL).
- Selection is based on quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
- Players must be placed in positions where they predominantly played throughout their careers