AFL 9s is the Australian Football League’s official social version of the game. The game is played across Australia and has been developed to provide an opportunity for participants to play a modified Australian Football game that has strong parallels with the traditional game.
The game has many applications in the community and fundamentally, AFL 9s enables people of all ages and ability levels to participate in organised mixed, men’s, women’s and youth competitions. Competitions are run across Australia at different times throughout the year.
AFL 9s is designed so that everyone can play. It is a fast, free-flowing game and played in a friendly environment. It’s less physically demanding, has a minimal time commitment with a major emphasis on a social feel, in a fun setting.
Key features of AFL 9s:
- Nine (9) players a side, with unlimited interchanges
- Modified rectangular field with maximum length of 100 metres separated into three zones – a mid-zone and two scoring zones
- Modified rules – touch rule in place of a tackle
- Female goal worth nine points
- Rules and Regulations can be found here.
Sydney is due to host the AFL 9s Classic in 2017. This is a premier national sporting and cultural event for the community
To find your local competition please click here.
Click here for information about umpiring AFL 9s.